We are exceedingly happy to announce Cypress Capital Ventures, our new startup.
Have you ever had that ‘AH HA!’ moment when you thought of the next big thing? Yea, us too. All the time. This startup is the culmination of our lifelong dream to form a company to explore these ideas, to take some calculated risks, and to build successful large-scale sites that benefit the masses.
When you get right down to it, our company is more or less a framework that we can explore these ideas. It’s a framework for not only what we want to do (build awesome sites) but also how we envision working for the next few decades. Digital? Definitely. Relational? Absolutely. Accountable? Mandatory. Overhead? Nope. Commute? Ha!
In other words we want to create the type of company WE want to work for where the rewards are worth the risk, every day is a new adventure, and we can proudly hang our hats up at the end of the day and say we have contributed to something bigger and been socially responsible.
What we do
Like our home page says, we buy, operate, and improve good sites and make them great. We are starting out with a portfolio of 5 wonderful sites (and several more in the hopper!) that we feel have high growth potential. This portfolio also allows our team to explore different industries and business models and learn the ropes of the e-commerce portfolio/VC world.
Our core values
As our About Us states, our sites are our babies and our livelihood. For our sites (and our company) to be successful we function on the following values:
- Innovation is everywhere. In the process of going about our everyday lives there are plenty of innovative opportunities (Peter Thiel’s “Secrets” — much more on that in later posts). We just have to think critically and have open eyes.
- Long term solutions. Short term fixes are exactly that. Short. They typically don’t address a need in a quality manner. We want to get things 100% right the first time.
- Do the right thing. Whether it be tactical (is your project/task on time?), interpersonal (are we being direct and honest?), or strategic (are we investing wisely?) we constantly strive to understand the best ways to work with ourselves, our partners, and our customers.
- We’re easy to do business with. We recognize the value of long term relationships with customers and partners and be responsible in all of our interactions with them (you!)
- Change is good. Ah, change. It can be painful but there’s so much goodness that comes out of change. We channel our changes into opportunities.
- Be true to yourself. We don’t let work define us and we don’t try to fit our team into areas that they don’t naturally want to be in. We are the same people at work as we are away from work.
About this blog
We envision using this blog for a variety of purposes. We will keep everyone updated on our progress as a company through this blog. In addition, we will have frequent announcements about our sites (new features, markets, milestones, etc). Finally we will sprinkle in an occasional innovation article based on our observations of digital trends, lessons learned from VC topics, and our omnipresent desire to find the perfect taco truck.
Stay tuned, there’s plenty more to come…